WHAT IS PALO SANTO?
Indigenous Palo Santo (found in Ecuador and Peru), or and Bulnesia Sarmientoi (found in parts of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia) is a sacred tree traditionally used by Indigenous communities as a sacred practice. Shamans burn Palo Santo sticks in bundles to cleanse their space and ward off spirits. Palo Santo in Spanish is holy stick.
The therapeutic benefits of Palo Santo are many, with it being highly medicinal and healing. The only way to get the full benefit of this tree is by letting it die naturally and allowing it a four to ten year resting period on the forest floor. The highest quality oils form in the aged heartwood, which is used in sacred ceremonies and to heal by specific local cultures.
HOW TO USE PALO SANTO
Using Palo Santo is really very simple. You can use it either to clear a space of negative or unwanted energies; for meditation; or for cleansing your crystals.
Cleansing the Home
- Take one stick and light it with a candle, match or lighter.
- Allow the Palo Santo stick to burn for 30 seconds to a minute, then carefully blow it out.
- Move around the space in which you wish to clear the energy – be it your bedroom, office, car or your entire home – allowing the smoke to waft around each area.
- As you take the Palo Santo stick into the corners of each room or space you are cleansing, say aloud: “I ask that the plant spirit of Palo Santo please infuse this space with blessings”.
- A rich smell will fill the air, bringing peace and clarity to the moment.
- Once you feel you have cleansed your space, place the Palo Santo stick in a fireproof bowl and allow the embers to burn out.
- Remember to always exercise care and caution when working with fire.
Creating a Morning Ritual with Palo Santo
- Arise in the morning with intention.
- Light candles and allow some sunlight in.
- Light a stick of Palo Santo and allow it to burn for 30 seconds to 1 minute, before carefully blowing it out.
- Place the Palo Santo in a fireproof bowl.
- Sit quietly for 10 – 15 minutes and focus on your intentions for the day, holding gratitude and thanks in your heart.
- Stretch your arms, legs, hands, feet, neck and back.
- Start your day feeling refreshed and positive!
Crystals with Palo Santo
- Place your crystals together in an area.
- Light the Palo Santo stick, allow it to burn for up to a minute then blow it out.
- Allow the smoke from the stick to envelope the crystals and the area they are in.
- Once the stick has burnt out, your crystals will be cleansed, and you can start afresh with new intentions.